Monday, December 14, 2009

Growing Pains

"If you never push yourself, you're not growing. You're not learning anything new."

This sage advice came from my good friend who was trying to coax me up a wall of concrete dotted with minuscule hand and foot holds. We were rock climbing -- a sport I've recently taken up, and I was trying a new route for the fist time. I listened to her advice and managed to make it up on the wall, which was a feat in itself since it started at an incline, and almost halfway up before my shaking arms got the best of me. Next time, I told myself, I'll make it all the way.

I remembered her advice again today when I decided to make my first blog post.

I've blogged before, but only because I needed to vent my political viewpoint. Now I'm blogging to prove I have something to say about social media. Two very different animals. The blogosphere is literally overflowing with posts about Twitter and LinkedIn and Facebook. What can I contribute? What can I possibly add to the conversation?

How will I know if I don't reach for that next hand hold and try?

I recently completed my master's certificate in online marketing through the University of San Francisco. And I've been working on the Internet in one capacity or another for more than 10 years. So I have a good foundation upon which to launch this new endeavor. But new things can be intimidating. Daunting, even. Just like those big concrete walls I've been gradually learning to conquer.

Here's to mastering the nex route, err, post.

No comments: